Friday, April 08, 2005

I am in Carriage House again. Juge wakes me up 6 in the morning…it’s barely day at that time. I think the only animals that are awake are crows whom I can hear very loudly…so what happens is that I get frustrated and end up being in bed even more…I am perfectly O.K. with waking up at 7am since I have started sleeping by midnight but 6 is really early! Sigh…any suggestions?

I was reading a book that was talking about positive thinking and came across the definition of self confidence. It was saying that self confidence is nothing but unconditional self respect. When one doesn’t trust and respect oneself s/he would blame and degrade her/himself. But if you can respect yourself despite your mistakes then you have self confidence. I found it the best definition of self confidence I’ve heard. What do you think?

3 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go to bed an hour earlier, get up at 6 and go for jogging for half an hour, get a shower, prepare breakfast and go to work then.
This is my ideal plan!!

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh!! The previous comment is me!!

babak

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger David said...

Regarding Juge, all I can suggest is that you try something similar to what I did with my cat. For you, building a temporary door is probably not practical (I used various power tools for that project). However, you could try putting him in a room by himself at night and closing the door. I have done that before. I put my cat's food and litter box in the room and he got used to that arrangement. Then I closed him up in the room at night and let him out in the morning.

I think that self respect is an important part of self confidence, but I think that it is more complex than that. Self confidence is also related to how a person sees her/himself in relation to other people. For example, a very competitive person, who is always weighing some or many aspects of who they are against other people, may never be comfortable with themselves. I think that self confidence also involves the ability to stand up for one's own ideas and thoughts, especially when other people try to impose their own different ideas and thoughts upon you. However, as you said in your comment to my post, too much of this sort of over confidence can lead to arrogance. No one person can know or understand everything, so I think that it is important for a person to be willing to consider other points of view and to change one's mind.

Btw, I rented "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". Thank you for suggesting it, I really enjoyed it! :) I was glad that the movie had kind of a happy ending. At least there was some hope of happiness for the two main characters. Sometimes I wish that I could erase some memories, but life experiences, good and bad, are, in many ways, what makes us who we are. In the past year, I have gotten to know some very nice and interesting people, and that has certainly helped my self confidence. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home