Wednesday, February 02, 2005

" The world's primary state sponsor of terror"

I have been avoiding the talks about possible attacks on Iran as if avoiding the problem will miraculously solve it or it might be the fact that I hopelessly see nothing that I can really do to prevent it. I listened to president's speech today trying to guess if the relatively short part about Iran has anything new...I heard the same stuff except that our ranking is higher now. A few years ago we were in an axis with Iraq and North Korea. Now after a "liberated" Iraq and God knows what is going on with North Korea we are the primary sponsor of terror.

I don't say that the regime is not sponsoring terror. In fact it is. But any pressure on the regime is directly passed to people. To me threatening the dictator regime of Iran and sending support messages to people is just not realistic. I see it more of a justification or just self deceiving. It sounds good in a speech but what actually happens is that we, the ordinary people, are the main and final losers of this game. No matter what solution they choose from sanctions to war it is people's loss. I was a kid when war with Iraq was happening but I have very clear memories of how scared I was from sounds of those bombs, feeling the ground shake and trying to guess how close the attack was. I remember how poor everyone was. I remember that war and I don't want my country to go through anything like that again. I am just awfully scared of war or more sanctions. I think my people deserve to be in peace.

Iranian bloggers have launched a blog to oppose the attack on Iran. I would like to invite you to visit this blog. Specially if you are not from Iran. Please hear us and let us be heard by spreading the word: Iranians for Peace

5 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Blogger Mo said...

God bless Metallica! How many times I used "sad but true"! Once again, sad but ture! What I like about your post is that you explicitly expressed there is a huge difference between people and regime. This is missing in some of those posts in "Iran for peace" blog. When you read them, especially as a non-persian, you have no clue whether the author is an intellectual or fundamentalist. This is extremely dangerous, and this is why I am still reluctant to join such movements.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger David said...

Pantea, I agree that the Iranian government in responsible for sponsering some terror, but I think that a lot more of the world's terrorism comes from Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, and Syria. Why didn't Bush have anything to say about them? North Korea is certainly of great concern, too. I did visit "Iranians for Peace". I read Sima's post and also my friend Khodadad's post. I think that this blog is a good idea. I just hope that it gets a lot of attention! Maybe someone could let some members of the press know about it. There is an Iranian news anchor named Rudi Baktiar who works for CNN. It would be great if someone could let her know about this.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Anar said...

Mo, I think people being against war and being pro or against regime should be kept separate. I think regradless of one's political stands it is Iranian's right to oppose a war against their country. Because when it happens it doesn't separate us.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Anar said...

David,

That's a good idea. I will send them an eamil about this.Thanx!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Mo said...

Pantea, I understand war is terrible for all Iranian, but if intellectuals don't separate themselves from fundamentalists, Iranian government will use it as usual: "see, everybody loves us, we have differences, but in general, Iranian are crazy about us". This is the trick that mullahs use everyday to fool people. Especially, I don't see any possibility of war in the near future. This will be another victory for regime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home