Thursday, April 28, 2005

I have four fixed facilities and 22 sales regions. The problem is to assign these regions to one and only one facility in a way that minimizes total cost(cost of buiding those facilities+transport cost) You can make the facilities as big as you want...How can this optimization be infeasible or unbounded?! I just don't get it!

--------------------------------------------
3:28pm

Could you shoot me please?
I have been working all day getting an error "the problem is unbounded" just because I had written vector Y like Y[1..dcs] instead of Y[dcs](one Y per dcs)...I mean who designs these nonsense errors for God's sake?

3 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joon I sympathise!!!!
Carmen and I spent forever trying to figure out why our IP was infeasible!!!!
Hopefully the light will shine on you soon....till then take care!!!
Yashoda....

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Anar said...

Well, it could be that it sets one facility's capacity infinity and the rest zero...will go and test that. sigh.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger David said...

This is definitely not my field of expertise!! However, it seems that in the real world another variable would have to be considered. Businesses want to grow right? So wouldn't the size of the fixed facilities also need to take into account either the addition of future sales regions or an increase in business from existing sales regions? Or maybe the future is impossible to quantify in this respect?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home