Thursday, November 11, 2004

Palestinian leader Arafat dies at 75_CNN

Arafat's family had wanted him buried in Jerusalem, but the Israeli government forbade that..."Jerusalem is the city where Jewish kings are buried, and not Arab terrorists," Israeli Justice Minister Yosef Lapid said last week.[complete report]

I hope that Palestine, soon sees the peace that was his dream. I think of him as a leader who made mistakes. He was not a terrorist and certainy Israel's current governemnt is not eligible to call him so.

3 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that the Palestinians will have a much better future, too, and soon. Arafat was a complex man, sometimes good, and perhaps other times not good. During the 1970's the PLO did carry out a number of highjacking and terrorist operations. The worst may have been the murder of the Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. It is true that there were many factions of the PLO and some of them may not have been under Arafat's control. I do not know if Arafat personally ordered any of those terror operations, but he certainly knew the men who were involved. I think that Arafat's legacy will be a mixed bag. He did passionately care about his people and he led their struggle for freedom and dignity for decades. However, he failed to led them toward a brighter future. Several years ago, after the peace talks with Israel broke down, he called for the Palestinian people to rise up in violence. Violence was never the way for them to achieve their goals. If only he could have called for peaceful resistance in the way of Ghandi and King, I believe that the Palestinians would be much better off today. These are my opinions. Arafat is a man of the past now. I hope that the new leaders of the Palestinians will accomplish better things.

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to write myself a note or something about signing my name. :)

David

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Gilda said...

I agree Pantea joon! This kind of reminded me of Reza Khan!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home