Friday, May 21, 2004

...I now pronounce you married

I found this a very touching video about gay marriages now legal in Massachusetts. I actually consider this very important not only for the ones living in the United States but also as another step towards equality for all the minorities residing else where. In my country, Iran, homosexuality is prohibited by constitution. Either two men or two women that are proved to have sex with each other will be sentenced to 100 lashes for the first 3 times and if they are caught 3 times and each time have received this punishment they will be sentenced to death. In the society, homosexuality is considered immoral and wrong. There is a lot to do. But recently, with the help of internet, people have started websites and are trying to inform other people about the facts of homosexuality and about the rights they could potentially have in the society. Homosexuality is specifically condemned in Quran. This is the main reason that it is almost impossible to talk about their rights under the Islamic laws of Iran. It is interesting to me that even trans-gender people have more rights. They are not sentenced to death. And nothing is said about them in Quran.(Maybe they didn't have the surgery back then!).

Well, I have read some about this subject and I have talked to some people about the subject. I know that considering homosexuality wrong has little to do with education level. It is more of the culture and the fact that we are not exposed to homosexuals as normal people. I think Iran has a long way to go but I think every time sexual minorities in other places make progress in their way it would mean a lot to those in my country trying to find their way of life. I wish them luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home